Continuing Education Requirements for Life Insurance Agents

Did you know that every life insurance agent is required to undergo continuing education training on a bi-annual basis? The insurance industry is highly regulated, and requires that anyone who consults and assists in the sale of a financial product (life insurance, term insurance, health and annuities), is constantly educated on best practice, legal procedures and ethics training, to ensure that consumers can trust the recommendations provided. In fact, before a life insurance agent can sell you a policy, they must be an agent in good-standing with the insurer. Another way the industry works to protect consumers.

Insurance Continuing Education Requirements In Texas

Training requirements and CE credits vary by state. Our head office is located in Texas, and our agents are required to complete 24 hours of certified training, in every licensing period. Two hours of the continuing education training is required to be allocated to business ethics coursework, to guarantee that sales methods and industry standard best practice guidelines are always followed, with insurance clients.

The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) registers continuing education providers for life insurance agents, and valid CE credits are required to maintain licensing exclusively from a list of approved educational institutions, which include onsite and online learning options.

  • All licenses issued or renewing on and after September 1, 2015 are now required to complete 24 hours of training.
  • All licenses that expired before September 1, 2015, are required by TDI to complete 30 hours of mandatory CE.

Agents who have successfully passed and met standards for one or more professional designation programs, in a nationally recognized organization, may also apply the accreditation toward their CE credits and requirements. Agents should review the Texas Administrative Code for more information on approved organizations and memberships in good standing.

Other sources of CE learning that are not certified by the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) can include:

  • coursework offered by accredited colleges, universities or law schools
  • training provided by a national designation certification program
  • participatory credit by the state bar association or state board of public accountancy
  • certified continuing education credits under the guidelines of the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation

Pre-booking and scheduling is required, with some courses that fill up quickly. Agents should prepare to source their continuing education (CE) credits at least six months prior to license renewal, to avoid issues. If you are one of our licensed insurance agents, and you have any questions about your CE requirements in Texas (or another state) please contact us for more information and CE resources. We are happy to assist you.


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *